Elder Hilliard called to serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

1st week in Temwaiku January 17, 2016


Temwaiku has been an adventure thus far.  But it is great here.  We have a lot of investigators and a lot of people ready for baptism.  The work here is moving fast and I love it.  So, I have a bike now, and our house has a separate room for sleeping.  It even has a little bit of air-conditioning. Still have rats but they are less of a problem.  Some weird things that have happened so far, one of our investigators had a dream about Thomas S. Monson saving him from being killed.  Which was awesome, because now he knows that he is a true prophet.  Then, right after that lesson actually, I had a weird experience.  With my new companion we pray before and after every lesson, away from from the investigator and in addition to our prayers with them, and we say them in English.  So I had been praying in English all day, but for some reason I could not say the prayer until I spoke Kiribati.  It was definitely a surprise and it was awesome.  

Some other interesting things.  I got to eat a burger at a place called Titarbakiti (basically pronounced "starbucks"), and I got to see two of our new investigators get married.  I am really glad to be here and even though both my companion and I are new and not good at the language, things are somehow working.  We see the hand of the Lord everyday.  And I am so grateful for that.

Also I'm going start teaching you guys some Kiribati.
Mauri! (may-oo-ree)-- Hello
Tia Bo! (sah-bo)-- Good bye (literally we will meet)
Ko rabwa (ko-ra-pa)-- thank you
Te raoi! (te-roy)-- your welcome (literally the goodness)
And now for the fun ones which is what I will start sending every week
ni karokoa-- until (ni=of ka=make roko=come a=make it a verb)

Well hope you all have a good week

Love

Elder Hilliard

PS Remember who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment